Tuesday 21 January 2014

Cath Kidston - Medieval Design Inspiration.


Catherine Sazytch

These patterns represent the medieval theme really well and I like how the varied aspects interlock together. Although I feel that this particular illustration style won't work with the current Cath Kidston look because of the sharp angular lines and  the dark, murky colour palette. It also has a more masculine feel that wouldn't work with their target audience.



Jolly Edition

I love the illustrations done by this company, here is an example of a medieval style wedding invitation. The theme has been portrayed with a much more subtle approach and is a lot more feminine. I like the soft lines of the illustrations and also the bright colours that really enhance the design. Medieval style type has also been incorporated, which is an interesting idea.



Jez Tuya

I like the comical style of this illustrative interpretation of King Henry V. I like this style as it makes the subject more lighthearted yet still gets the idea across to the audience.

 




Lesley Barnes

Lesley Barnes has a great selection of medieval inspired pieces. The first three are really interesting and I love the bold, geographic style and how all the pieces fit together to create a very engaging composition. The bright colours really compliment the shapes and it gives an interesting look as these tones aren't usually associated with this theme. The other style is also great, I like the unusual way the horses have been placed within the composition and how the dragon is a contrasting colour to help it stand out.



Fred Blunt

This is another very lighthearted image that I like as I think it is great how the characters have a sense of personality. The use of hand drawn linear detail really enhances the design and the naive feeling. The contrasting colours work great together and exaggerate the shapes, I also think it would look good with other colour pairings too, showing its versatility for colour way options.



Yasmeen Ismail

The collaged effect of this image is very interesting and I love the textured look it creates, although I don't think it would be suitable for Cath Kidston. The bright colours against the black give a very exciting and intense appearance which brings the piece to life.




 JooHee Yoon

The screen printed style of these designs really appeal to me, I love how the layers are slightly skewed so the background colour is clearly visible. Because of this technique there is also a subtle texture that adds an interesting dimension. I also like how different tones have been used of the same colour as it gives variety whilst still maintaining the theme.




Julia Grigorieva

These patterns are very cute and have a definite childlike feeling. The linear drawings filled with block colour work very successfully especially with the bright tones. I like how more subtle aspects and more smaller linear aspects have been incorporated as it adds a great deal of detail.




I selected this image as the style really reminded me of Cath Kidston because of the colour choices and also the illustration style. I like how this image has a more gentle feeling rather than action and gore. How flowers have been incorporated into the composition also back up this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment