Thursday 22 May 2014

OUGD603 - Final Evaluation.

I have developed a huge amount ok skills during this module and I think I have progressed a great deal as a designer. Through the process of completing briefs I feel that I have refined my practice as I have found what I do and do not enjoy. I have found that I am passionate about designing for retail and creating brand identity, packaging and editorial surrounding this. Because of this I now have a large collection of briefs that are relevant to each other and could be used to create a consistent portfolio. Linking with this I have improved my skills in creating boards and designing something that is clear for other people to understand, this new knowledge can be transferred onto creating boards for my portfolio. Taking part in live briefs and working with real clients has improved my skills in designing for an actual purpose rather than things just for myself. I have improved in being able to interact with others in a constructive way and organise my time in order to get things completed. Live briefs have definitely prepared me for the real environment outside university.

Aspects that have informed my development are things like primary research, I think I have really pushed this through the module and I have seen and felt the benefits. Most of my primary research has been going into shops and evaluating how things appear in the environment, due to most of my briefs being involved in the retail sector. I found this very beneficial as I could see how things appeared in context. Working collaboratively also informed my development as I found that is something I really enjoy, as well as this I also learnt things from the people I was working with as they have different skills to me. Trying new processes was also exciting as I now have learnt a lot of new skills including edge painting, triplex, plastic moulding, laser cutting etc. Live briefs have also developed my practice as I now have a better understanding of how things are likely to work in the real world with having to work with a client and having stricter deadlines.

Some strengths I feel I have within this module are packaging design as it is something I really enjoy and have developed over this past year. I have gained more knowledge in how to apply things to a three dimensional space and creating a range. I think these aspects within my practice are strong. Due to me making a lot of packaging my crafting skills have got a lot better as I have wanted to produce a high quality, professional finish. I feel I am also good at working with other people not only on a designing level but also others from outside the environment and I have really enjoyed it.

Some weaknesses from this module would be that I could have done a lot more idea generation. Even though I had a lot of development this was usually from one of the first ideas I had thought of. I feel that some briefs I could have pushed further for example with a packaging brief I could have also designed more extensive promotional and supporting material. I think I could have also experimented more with different stocks and materials to give my work more variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment