Sunday, 13 October 2013

Brabantia - Further Designs.

After further research I have been inspired to design some more variations of my retro pattern ideas. I wanted to develop the floral theme as on my last attempt they didn't have the style I was hoping for and floral is something very popular within this sector.

I started by creating a simple design and experimented with the colour options. I like how with this design the use of colour highlights the fact that the shapes are overlapping with the mix of tones. I really like the bright and youthful feel and even though the colours are so varied they still work well as a set.

I then started organising the shapes to form a repeated pattern and because I liked all the colours together I started by using this approach. However I found that is a larger bulk it look slightly unorganised and to get a clean finish I may have to pick a specific colour theme. At first I experimented with a pink and orange look, I feel that this was successful as all the tones coordinated well together and created a look that was easy on the eye. Next I looked at more of zingy appearance and this I was really happy with, the acid greens and turquoise really compliment each other to give an exciting end result.

Because I liked this colour arrangement so much I applied it to my previous pattern design to see if it worked as successfully. Unfortunately I feel that it doesn't work right and the colours appear to bright and sickly because there isn't the contrast of the darker tones to offset it.

I then experimented with the layout of the elements in the pattern to see if I could find a better composition. Although I found that the designs that were in a cross formation gave a tiled affect that made each piece seem quite separate and there was a lot of white space. On the other hand the linear pattern was very close together and there is more focus on the lines than there is on the floral design.

No comments:

Post a Comment