Sunday, 20 October 2013

R.T Millinery - Initial Logo Designs.

I initially started the logo designing process by hand drawing some options. I tried to cover a variety of styles and designs and looked at different ways the letterforms could interact with each other. Some were definitely better than others as they suited the brand identity a lot more. For example some that I felt were not as successful were the sharp angled design, the round circle effect and the showcase style font. I'm not keen on these as I feel the shapes and styles are quite strong and could distract from what the brand is about. I liked the concept of logos such as the backwards 'R' and conjoining 'T', the linked lower case letters and also the design where the 'T' crosses into the 'R'. Even though I like these as visual options I feel they may not be as clear to read which might make it harder for the audience to identify with them. This is why I have chosen to continue working on one of the more simple options in the top left. This design may be simple but a small bit of flare has been created by the detail on the 'R'.

After deciding to continue with this logo  I created a digital version on illustrator, that I am really happy with. The lines and curves are smooth and the letters fit snuggly together to create a compact design.

I then moved on to design a whole new typeface based on the shape and feel of the letters I had already started. I wanted to do this because I felt it would be good to be able to write the whole brand name in full. I really enjoyed this process and I felt it good to try and follow a pattern to create a consistent look. Although after completing the alphabet and composing the specific letters I felt it didn't look as successful as the initial logo as some of the letter shapes didn't flow from one to the other.

Because of this I continued the designing process focussing on the 'R' and 'T'. In my next few experiments I looked at incorporating the full name which I felt was too bulky and also using a serif typeface that I found was very common in the other millinery logos I researched. Although I felt that this really didn't fit as the traditional and contemporary looks didn't sit well together.

I then moved on to try making a more compact look and I feel that this worked a lot better, especially with a complimentary sans serif font. I looked at a variety of placements, stroke widths and wordings. The options I felt worked best was with the type at the base of the main logo or following alongside it.

Finally I looked again at including the whole brand name, but using a different typeface. I felt that this was a lot better than the initial attempt as the letters were a lot more simple and less distracting. I l experimented with  few different stroke widths and the lightest version was my favourite. I then found another typeface that I felt was even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment